View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 AM

That's the real problem, unfortunately, is that you most likely won't see the one that gets you, if one does, for several reasons. Mainly imo is that if it's not submerged under sand/mud, you won't/can't step on him.

I was actually wearing polarized glasses that day, and saw a bunch of them scurry away from a buried/hidden position before I got stung. Once I saw them scurrying, I made everyone else aware that they were in the area and to take precautions. They were concentrated pretty close to shore btw, less than 30 yards from the shoreline. They were very numerous.
We all starting shuffling, including me, upon realizing we were in a stingray "mine field". Within ten seconds I was hit.
I was hit within 10 feet of the shoreline. The ray that hit me was totally submerged and I could not see him. That was the irony to me, that given how many hours I have spent walking in shallow water, the one time I see a bunch AND take precautions, I am hit within seconds. Just goes to show, imo, that sometimes it's just a cold deck and you can't win despite your actions. Actually, I was hit on the top of the foot, not bottom, thanks to shuffling. I understand the bottom of the foot is worse.... so......

Hope no one else gets stung.

Last edited by Unimog Bob; 06-05-2009 at 07:29 AM.