Thread: Cabarete Hotels
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiar2000 View Post
Rick,
Im planning to go there next year, but would like to know how far cabarete is from puerto plata and punta cana?
Thanks
Most everyone heading to Cabarete via plane flys into Puerto Plata as Chris says. I think there might be an unofficial, official customs shake down for $5. USD or more per passenger. At least there was in 2004. It looks like taxi fare may be up to $30. TO 35. USD one way to Cabarete from Puerto Plata.

A pretty good map of DR appears at:
http://www.puntacana.net/img/roadmap.gif

I would check it out for distances, etc.. I've never been to Punta Cana. In 2004 we drove as far as we wanted to east of Cabarete and barely made Samana. It was the first time I rented a car there and I am not sure that I would recommend this to others. The roads are not all that great and when I was there some idiots were screwing with the petroleum supply at power plants and the gas stations (politics at work). I understand that there is a far closer airport than Puerto Plata, Punta Cana Intl. and there is still another one between the two beginning with La Romana? A taxi from Punta Cana to Cabarete will only cost about $250 USD and take 8 to 10 hours. Summing that up, DON'T DO IT!!!

If you want to do both Cabarete and Punta Cana (which is supposed to have less favorable wind) you might look into a commuter flight.

Have a good trip!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi