View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Skyway Scott

Okay. Let's clear this up fast, cuz I hope to talk to Mr. Wilson soon.

We only have 2 east spots, we already decided to limit the SW, that leaves EB as a beginner spot, right? I need input on this before Scott and myself go in to talk. I am a little gun shy about some saying I didn't tell Mr. Wilson what we wanted. I was basically going to say we want to promote safety and post a list of agreed upon safety regs that we have ZERO intention of him having to enforce. Is this correct?

The "enforcement" issue is key here. I talked with some people who are smarter than me last night and they made a very good argument to me. They said we need to figure out whether this sign represents recommendations or rules we plan to actually enforce (even if rarely). In theory, we can't truly enforce anything unless the park stands behind it and backs up our decision.

Phrased differently, are we ever planning on asking a park ranger to enforce one of our "rules" on the sign? This needs to be determined before I talk to him, because it will probably be his first question. My impression of Mr. Wilson is that he REALLY wants to be hands off and have us regulate ourselves.

If we plan on limiting access to EB using wording on the sign, this is going to lead to (possibly) a person talking with Mr. Wilson about his rights to do what he wants at a public park. Get where I am going?

The sign is awesome and I am pumped up about it
But, we need to decide whether it is recommendations that we recommend that kiters follow, or if we view them as rules we plan to enforce. If the latter, it ultimately puts the burden on Mr. Wilson to enforce a rule.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but someone much smarter than me convinced me of this last night and she is right. I am not on a true deadline, but the faster we figure this out, the better. Most are at work, tomorrow is Sat and Monday is a Holiday.
I would like to talk with Mr. Wilson on Tuesday with Scott and get this done.

Does anyone see my point here about enforcement? I was hoping we could use persuasive talk and "peer pressure" in our efforts to self regulate. But, if someone takes it a step further and tells someone they can't ride 'cuz the sign says so and the sign is on park property and the park manager is like "what?".... you get it already.