View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Skyway Scott

It's obvious that some people have different views on where/when they can safely ride and how it may or may not affect our access. It's also beyond obvious to me that all kiters (they don't have to be on the forum) are aware of the prevailing problems in FL and the concerns that exist toward riding near the shore and bathers. We do talk at the launches and you'd have to be under a rock not to know what's up.
Despite being aware, some guys have decided our concerns are not valid, and that's their right. They feel riding near others is not a problem.
We can't force them to change their minds. One more safety meeting won't do anything. A sign stating a few recommendations won't either. A tag.. well, that might get jammed up my ass on a bad landing, I will pass on that one.
Until someone is willing to literally hold Jay down and not let him ride (never going to happen) he will ride like he wants. Jay is far from alone in his views, so try holding back 30 riders who don't feel it's a problem to consistently ride within 20 feet of shore each tack, get close to swimmers/surfers and other stuff. Maybe a few of you that don't ride the beach much are starting to get it - Most guys riding out there don't feel it's a problem to do what they want. Jay is just the only guy that has expressed this very common belief.
I hope that he is right and that I am just a nervous ninny. I definitely don't want to lose the beach, it's always been my favorite spot. But I don't think there is a point to fighting over ideas anymore either, since it's pointless.