View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 AM

Alright then. I think an understanding has been struck. Keep in mind Todd that most folks that ride Sunset live near the place. Call it their local spot if you will.

Any new riders you see there for the most part started the path to kiteboarding by seeing kiteboarding at Sunset. Those same folks have never heard of Watersports West. In their journey to wanting to get into the sport, they find us. It is only natural for them to want to use the spot as they learn.

Kiters too often forget that it is the kites themselves that drive people to the sport, certainly not a shop.

Yes, however you look at it, the sport is growing, and "the secret is out". Sunset is a classic example of that growth.

If there is one place that I have faith that a group of folks can work together to keep a spot under control, it is Sunset Park. I have not witnessed such a tight knit group like the "Sunset Crew".

Let's keep doing what we are doing and set an example for others to follow.

1. Keep communicating about issues and find solutions
2. Treat each other with respect
3. Not play the blame game

You have my word that you can rely on myself and the others that teach up there to work with you all to preserve that space. Brian, Doug, Sarah, and myself will do everything in our power to preserve access there. We will set a good example, we will make sure our students understand the "rules", and we will be the first to get our hands dirty if need be. If you would like us to do something, just ask.

With that said, I would like for you all to consider how you as locals ride the spot, and consider what kind of effect that riding behavior has on others, especially new and/or visiting kiters.

If you would like a sign up there, come together as a group, decide what you want on it, and let's get it approved, made, and installed. If there is one place that I can see a group coming together and making this happen, I believe it is "the Sunset crew".

Whatever, you all decide, you know I will support.