View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

I think the main factors that contributed to the accident on the Black Sea were the very strong gusty winds and the fact the kiter was running his lines out untangling them while the lines were attached to the kite.

There is a tendency to have to pull the lines hard enough to shift the kite in this approach. This can cause accidental launch even in light winds.

An approach that works on our sand beaches in SE Florida for FLAT kites includes:

1. Inflate the kite and anchor it well with sand, leading edge pointing into the wind.

2. Attach the left kite lines to the left board foot strap and the right to the right. I place the board between the kite wing tips and perpendicular to the leading edge.

3. I run the lines out perpendicular to the wind or slightly upwind of the kite ending at a point close to where I will stand to launch.

4. When you are done all four lines are laying nicely parallel to one another, free of twists and ready to attach to the kite.

5. Attach the lines with your launching assistant standing by to take the kite and go to your bar to launch without delay.

I like this approach because you can pull fairly hard to undo twists using the board as a line anchor, may need to bury it a bit in sand. You don't have to deal with the kite until you are ready.

Regarding bystander involvement, excellent point but otherwise NO COMMENT. What you can imagine happening may not be far off what is possible. MAKE SURE your kite is very well anchored and will not shift. If you are out in high wind, don't leave it unattended by yourself or a helper. If you have to leave it on the sand for more than a few minutes in lighter winds take the lines off of one end of the kite, better all of them.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi