View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris
I’m a little lost on something. Watching this clip that seems to be an outtake I see people still riding, jumping and not ditching their rigs. As far as the rider that got blown out to sea. What about his safety release? I do have the video “Into the Air” and love it. Good job Paul!

Now I do have to report that I got out of control and dragged across the beach on New Years Eve at Ann’s Beach in Islamorada. I rider launched me (I was too close to shore) and I forgot to hook my leash. I am basically a novice (with lessons) and wanted to get some ride time. Upon launch the kite got out of control I didn’t reach for my safety release or eject. I’ve been playing this over in my mind all weekend. STUPID, STUPID! Luckily I only got some minor scratches and a lot of sand but it could have been worse. So I thought. My kite got caught in the mangrove trees just short of US1. When I tried to get to the kite at least to deflate it I slipped and gashed my leg (almost to the bone) on a broken tree limb. I got 11 stitches.
Anybody saw Final Destination?

The reasons I’m writing this is to report for others and to get this out of my system.
The rider that helped me, recovered and packed my rig “while I was answering 100 questions to 911” was a good guy. I can’t wait to get back in the water but with a different mindset.
Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope your wound is healing rapidly and well. It sounds like a painful experience to say the least. Were you flying a C kite? In reality in most emergencies there is rarely enough time to find, pull and activate your QR. Best approach is to avoid the emergency in the first place. After that practice launching unhooked with the kite trimmed for just enough power to fly stably with an adequate downwind buffer. Practice 'just letting go!" Lots of guys just hang on even though they aren't hooked in. Some other guys always launch C kites with one hand on the QR ready to try to pop it if needed. With flat kites, you probably don't want to launch unhooked but be prepared to sheet out to completely emergency depower the kite upon need. Practice responding to emergencies with whatever you are flying in an appropriate fashion. In an emergency there will likely be insufficient time to sort out a proper reaction without prior practice.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi