View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 01:58 AM

Great post Scott, and I was intentionally vague as I'd to see progress on this topic.(thanks for taking the bait) I believe that instructors agreeing to some basics isn't really a lot to ask, and would show they're willing to help properly manage our riding spots. In turn, I think it would help the locals respect the jobs of the instructors as well.
I completely agree that the certification doesn't automatically make a good instructor, but it does show initiative to learn about what you're teaching (and getting 100 bux an hour for!). My problem is not so much with an experienced VETERAN kiter teaching his GF, as it is someone hucking lessons and gear trying to make a living off of it. Also, when friends teach friends, that friend teaches other friends, and it’s a big clusterfudge of inexperienced kiters.
You have to draw the line somewhere.

Here's 5 simple things I think would help address the situation around here:
-require certification of some type (credibility)
-city occupational license (legality)
-publicly accessible feedback system (accountability)
-No beginner lessons over 20 knots (sensibility)
-No Gulf beach lessons (respectability)

General teaching areas (distance from beach) at any launch should be:
sideshore wind- 100 yards out minimum
side-on, or onshore wind- 200 yards out minimum

Of course there are plenty of exceptions to the above mentioned (I’d like to hear others thoughts on what would work) but having no general "rules" at all, means a continued free-for-all, and we already know where that leads us.

Anyway, I think the best way to handle things that affect all of us is through an association, where everyone interested can discuss and decide how things should be.