View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 08:08 PM

Amber,

Great question and some thoughts on how it might play out. First off, people know you, you have been around awhile. You have spent alot of time on the kite and probably don't come off as a newbie. Remember what this is designed to point out......those that have no tag at all. It is those that will be questioned the most. Are they out of towners? Did you get lessons? How many? Is the right place for you to be riding right now? Do you need help? Ect.....

Yes orange/red riders maybe approached especially if they show they are not even in control of their kite, but hopefully they won't even receive the orange/red tag from their instructor until they at least have the basic fundamentals down and have had some success riding, relaunching, demonstrate good kite control and demonstrate successful launches and landings among many other things. One 2 hour lesson may not be enough for the orange/red tag. This will definately put a little pressure on both new rider and instructor to meet some goals before sending them on their way and issuing a colored tag.

I don't have control of how many lessons a rider takes, but if they don't achieve a certain level of skill, then they won't even get a tag until they do. Again, a guy or girl gets a few hours of lessons, buys a kite on ebay, and goes out and is a complete abortion. Hopefully he/she doesn't have a tag at all and this allows riders to put on a little heat on that rider, which overall will help keep our riding areas that much safer. Maybe it will give riders the ability to suggest more lesson time or a different location altogether. Isn't that what we are after in the first place???? Maybe I stand alone here, but I see it as a win win for everyone. It will take some time to get all the kinks out, but I am very impressed how far we have come in such a short time this past 2 weeks.

I think the sport needs some standards, and if we continue to discuss in a very positive and open environment, we will address some hard issues that we all face.