Thread: Wind on Sunday
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 PM

A little advice for what it is worth.....more and more folks seem to be using the backside of East Beach.....and walking kites through the mangroves. There can be some nasty updrafts coming off the mangroves and very gusty conditions. It might seem harmless, but when things go wrong it can get really ugly fast. Very risky IMO. Walk your gear already inflated and lines attached through the cut at the roundabout and launch on the other side. Even at high tide, you can wade out a bit a have a much better launch and avoid the risks of you or your kite in the mangroves. I saw one guy eat it last week in the mangroves, and another kite land in the mangroves on a landing. No one got hurt, but again this sport is all about minimizing the risks. I tried walking through once, and although nothing happened, I felt it was risky. The nice thing about that place like today is it works on NNE, N, and NW. Your covered in varying wind directions like today that can drive you a little nuts.

Had a great time today at Three Rooker with all the team riders from Watersports West. That place has so many possibilities.