Thread: WIND WIND WIND
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: WIND WIND WIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizGuru
Went for an afternoon run at commercial, the waves were a little rough getting start but go my best ride in today. Wind was awsome my 17m was really pulling fully depowered. I can't wait for more of this.
You might look to trim the kite on the pigtails for more or less power as conditions dictate. That is if you may be overpowered attach to the knot furtherest away from kite on the trailing edge pigtails (reducing the angle of attack). If you are underpowered you progressively move that attachment closer to the kite to increase the kite power (increasing the angle of attack). This is independent of anything you do on your trim strap.

Also, the closer it is to easterly winds particularly with waves the harder and more dangerous things will be particularly if you are staring out. Edging offshore, trying to deal with waves that flip you over and with powered conditions can be a bad combination. I would avoid easterly winds until you can manage all these factors. It took me years and I still eat it sometimes. If you lose it nearshore, which is easy to do, you can ram up the beach at speed.

I am starting to fall under the spell of nighttime powered kiting in the waves. Three nights in a row. Last night they were head high or better with over a 3/4 moon. You fall into a rhythm and just go for hours. Glorious!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi