View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM

Talking

I was pissed off too when it happened and ragged on Kevin harder than anyone, he knows that.
I also spoke with Kevin(several times), told him how I felt about it, and listened to him, his love for the sport, and his desire to promote safety and prevent future accidents. (Have others posting negative opinions here done that?)

I realized after speaking to him, that I had been a dick, and he is not a bit different than any other kiter I ride with everyday. He loves kiting just like we do, and was out that day along with hundreds of other kiters all across Florida, doing what he loves.
He just happened to get caught on tape by a news crew.
If his video is ammunition that highlights how dangerous this sport is, what do you call Rick's reports and hundreds of kitemares on Youtube?
It's the same type of ammo, they just don't hit the AP newswire.

I wasn't single-ing you out Paul, I was making a point that bans are not Kevin's fault.
Its the inaction by all of us.
(BTW, no egos here either, just the facts.)

Regarding your last comments, I have no desire to be interviewed or have the spotlight- never have and never will. I prefer staying down in the trenches and leave the PR stuff to someone less opinionated than myself.
most others would agree that is best.

I don't see IKO or PASA doing much of anything regarding accidents or bans. Its not their role. They provide training for certified instructors,provide insurance,and encourage learning through proper channels, something we should all be supporting.
If you're referring to ASF/K4L- yes, we support Kevin, his right to kite, and his freedom of speech.
Like all kiters, he is a friend to us.

I didn't quite get the "watch out who you elect to represent you" thing.
I represent myself and my views, and not here to win any popularity contest.
I think that's always been fairly obvious in my posts.

Fair winds to all of you