View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heemskn View Post
So how is a beginner or visitor supposed to figure it out?
I have visited Florida and other locations many times, every responsible kiter knows to check the local rules at any local spot. I can not think of a kiter I know that would not check the local rules before riding a spot. I knew months and months before I came to Fort Lauderdale not to ride in the swim buoys. I knew from common sense not to cut so close to swimmers that they get sprayed with the water off my board! Yet, on all my trips to Fort Lauderdale area I see locals doing both of these obvious things. Very few can claim ignorance on this issue in my opinion.

Actually, now that I think about it Fort Lauderdale is/was the worst spot in terms of kiters being respectful to the general public of any location I have ever kited out. When I was recently in the keys everyone seemed pretty respectful of the bystanders

Here is the lists of places I have ridden off the top of my head, all spots were good except Fort Lauderdale...I will say that at Leo Carillo in CA, the lifeguards I talked to said some people were pretty bad, but not while I was there

FL
Curry Hammock State Park
Fort Lauderdale Area

HI
Kailua Bay
Various local spots around Kauai

CA
Leo Carillo / Nicholas Canyon

NE
Lake McConaughy

OK
Foss Lake