View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro_boy View Post
Hi guys,

I'm travelling to Islamorada in March for a kiting vacay with my fam (wife and 5yr old). I hope I get some decent wind during my visit which will be about 2.5wks long.

Our plan is to spend a week or so in the Keys and then possibly venture out to another area. In the past, we've traveled along the East coast (West Palm Bch, Lake Worth, Fort Lauderdale, Miami).

We'd like to check out another area within half-day's drive from the Keys (or Florida City) that offers great kiting and family friendly attractions/activites (ie not so crowded beach, stuff to see/do for 5yr old, scenic coastal roads for cycling). For kiting, a spot with decent waves would be nice seeing as how I might tire of flatwater after being in the Keys. I do enjoy a good strapless surf session as much as flatwater.

Can you recommend a good location that meets the above?

Thanks in advance.
Pretty much everywhere you go in March will be busier as it is Spring Break time of year. When I want to get away from the Keys but I don't want the busy Lauderdale/Miami scene, I go to Cocoa Beach. Love it there! Great crowd, waves and flat water slicks in the north winds. Very beachy town. South Florida (Miami/Ft. Lau.) is much more city like and crowded even when not Spring Break.

A second place for the kids is the Orlando area. Awesome cable park, and plenty to do and only @ 1 1/2 hour drive to either coast depending on the wind direction.