Thread: Kite Lines
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 09:17 PM

I hate to point out the obvious here, but I am bit concerned with your choices today. I know you are new to the area and all, but your choice of location to launch your kite today leads me to believe you have had little or no training at all. You will not find too many people in the kiting community that will tolerate a self learner. It can be a danger to oneself, others, and put riding spots that we cherish at risk.

I do appreciate you coming into the shop to get a harness this weekend, however I would definately like to know why you tried to launch where you did today. Especially since no other kites were around you, and like 20+ kites were riding the backside of East Beach. I gave you a ride map of East Beach, but apparently you chose not to use it. This concerns me.

Your lines weren't tight due to lack of wind caused by an entire forest of trees blocking it. And if you did get it up and enter the water you probably would have been blown out into the bay and had some really big problems. Offshore winds are a bad idea. Kiting 101 Dudes have lost their kites this way.

I would be more than happy to talk with you about kiting and get you the training that you need. I had mentioned the 2.5 hour class at the shop for $50.00. It would be the best money you ever spent on the sport. I don't think you will find any shop anywhere in the world offering 2.5 hours of instruction for $50.00. Some one on one might not be a bad idea either.

I look forward to your response. Lack of response will only force me to call you out with car id, kite id, and description to note all of the riders in the area to keep an eye out for you and find out what's up.

Steve-O
WSW