View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post

Is there another style of kiteboarding being developed?: Extreme Kiteboarding...not for your average kiter...the true storm rider!

Old School, Freestyle, Wakestyle, Surf, and now: High Wind Kiting

Hey Brad,

I would be careful not to confuse terms. There is high, sustained wind and then there are squall winds. You know what to rig and to a degree what to expect in high sustained winds. That is frequently not the case in squalls.

Did you see the wind and radar plots from Fay at the link below?
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=7046&page=4

I hope as a well regarded professional in the industry you are not advocating that guys go out into that stuff? Or, is that what you are saying?

You realize that as bad as the wind in those plots looks, squalls throw out worse conditions (higher spikes, lower lulls, violent wind reversals) on a regular basis?

Brad, guys die in these conditions, recall the doctor who was killed about a week ago or the man that was killed last year in TS Ernesto. Many more just get hurt, like some students in the nordic countries one of which will likely be paralyzed below the waist for life. There are so many more cases.

Skill doesn't count for much in certain weather extremes or if some things go wrong. Add to that we all make mistakes. At the same time, you can't afford to make mistakes in such extreme conditions. Also, gear breaks not uncommonly especially in extreme conditions. Some breaks can cook you but good. NO ONE knows in advance the wind speed and direction changes, lightning a squall will throw out. They can be so extreme as to defy dealing with them. Russian roulette comes to mind as a similar activity. Skill and ability may have little to do with the outcome, just luck. This has been established in my mind for many years but not everyone sees it this way sad to say.

I don't view promoting going out in this stuff as responsible. Our sport took a major hit from this last accident. Are you advocating that folks do more of the same or do I have it wrong.

p.s. regarding divers going deeper. True, but with a very big difference, in record attempts they use their heads, security provisions BIG time, procedures, etc.. There is no comparison to my 300 ft. drop on a single 72 cft. tank into intense narcosis and O2 toxicity over 30 years ago and what they do today. People still die but the controls and awareness are far greater than before. They don't just "do it", if so, they will likely get "done" themselves.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi