Thread: friday am?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Skyway Scott

All the mod requires is a ring at the end of one of your front lines, as in the pic. I usually look around for an old pig tail or something similar, and use it with a ring you can get at West Marine.
Don't forget to make sure both front lines are exactly the same length.
It's easy to do this on the Best bar, because of the mini-leader with knots, and the fact you can untie and make knots different lengths.
You could just use the existing semi-leader with the ring, but I like to avoid any knots that might get hung up. (ignore my Q-line, btw, it's just what I use. It's not necessary at all for the mod)

With the mickey mouse ears of the Best bar, it doesn't matter which "side" you modify.
It's a good idea to put a piece of tape or dark line on the other end of the line you modded. That way, when rigging, you can attach it to it's proper side without any confusion (right or left). It does matter which side you attach it to when rigging, as it will determine to which side you can land the kite on.

Always attach the modded front line to the wingtip which is going to be highest in the sky (not bottom) when self landing your kite. If your kite is off to your left (as in a port tack) when landing, this would be the right front line that you would have attached it to prior to launching, so you can self land on that side.

It won't work if you try to land it on the other side with the right front line "slipping through the ring".

The whole process will take 2 minutes to show and a half hour of words.
Not really wanting to waste that many words.
Get the mod and then you're half way there.

All it is is an o-shit approach on a front line.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.