View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Default Save Hatteras

As a former Floridian who used to windsurf all over the state of Florida, I always wanted to go to Hatteras. I'd read about Hatteras in the magazines and think how amazing it must be to windsurf there. In 1994 I moved to Virginia (still visit family in SW Florida) and finally made it out to Hatteras. Over the years kiteboarding came into my life (early 2001) and I haven't windsurfed since but my love of wind and water is strong as ever.

If you haven't made the trip up to Hatteras yet and you're a kiter, all I've got to say is Thank you! This last weekend I never saw more kites on the water than any other time I've been there. There had to be over a hundred kites out at kite point alone (and it was blowing SW... kite point used to be known as a NE flatwater spot). Dozens of kiters doing South side downwinders, and tons of kites at different spots on the Sound scattered from the ferrry docks in Hatteras Village all the way to new inlet North of Rodanthe.

Of the close to 20 sessions I scored last month all but two were on my 9 (I weigh 190) the other two I was powered on a 12. April was Windy!

I did a South side downwinder with a dude named Jay from Florida on Saturday. I know a lot of Floridians come up here to enjoy what Hatteras has to offer.

What the Park Service is proposing is a big problem for all people who like to go to Hatteras or would like to go to Hatteras. Please take the time to provide your best input on this matter. As Rick said the response is due by May 11, so don't miss this opportunity to help save the beaches of Hatteras.

For the People not
For the Birds