Thread: new to sport
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 AM

Talking I'm longwinded, I know. SORRY!!!!

I think the good thing about the course at WSW is that you're paying $75 bucks on 2 1/2 hours of stuff you need to know. Kite terminology, weather, safety, etc. You would normally be paying about a hundred bucks an hour to get all that same information relayed to you at the beach. This way when you do take lessons, you won't have to spend so much time on land with all that information being thrown at you.

Also, something I was previous unaware of... WSW maintains a database of new riders and actually makes referrals to local certified instructors. This includes instructors like Steve-o and Gabe that teach for the shop as well as Steve at Kiteboarding Tampa Bay and Matt at Triton Kiteboarding.

I would just definitely wait to buy any gear. I think people get excited at the intro class and wanna buy stuff. Your instructor will have gear. Try stuff out and figure out what works best for you before you go spend ton of money on something you may not need or like. I started out with a secondhand board for example (thanks Scott) and saved a bunch of money.

We are having a safety day and cook-out at East Beach at Fort Desoto this saturday. Perfect time for you to bring your trainer kite and questions out to the beach and meet a bunch of us. Its actually past the "real" east beach. Turn left at the flagpole and keep driving till the end. See ya then!