View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Skyway Scott

Ebone. Didn't know til I read your story. Glad you are okay.

I have noticed the tendency of the Bows to do this as well. Therefore, IMO, the launching of these kites is a tad more dangerous than of a C, especially the self launch, due to line "tangle/wrap" issues.

Call me paranoid, but I always launch with my finger within the QR "red circle". If anything goes wrong, my finger will instinctually clam up and pull (not relax) to release the kite. Things have gone wrong approximately ten times out of at least 1,000 launches for me. That's only one percent, but, it only takes one really bad one.

I still believe the launching of a kite is the most dangerous moment in kiting, mainly because you aren't 100% sure that the lines aren't tangled or something. Donna has never launched her own kite if I am around.
I am cautious, and I realize the odds are small, but when I have the ability to make the odds close to zero of getting whacked, I take that opportunity.
Almost all of the really bad kitemares I have seen have been on a launch gone bad. People are caught off guard, kites are hauling ass (usually in a circular manner), and obstacles are close by.... yikes.......not much time to think or grab a moving target.

Glad you are Ok. I too had a sand mole express ride of almost a half mile once... not fun. :shock: (I had been kiting for about 5 months and it was in front of about 15 windsurfers at North Beach during a self launch. Talk about scaring the poleboarders away from kiters!!) Oh, there were no QRs back then, so the next day I bought a snap shackle at West Marine.