Thread: Close Call
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM

Also, the board floats, you can blow air into the dump valve just to keep it boyant, you can go under and blow an air pocket under the canopy. As Whitey mentioned you could pull a bladder. You can blow air into your wetsuit. In military school we were taught to remove our long pants, tie the legs closed and blow air into them to stay afloat... same idea with the kite. Get air in it just about anywhere and trap the bubble.

I know of more than one person who left the boat, and swam for it, and almost drown in the process. The coast guard and police never saw them.. just kept flying by while the guy was getting too tired to swim any longer.

Had it happen myself once... went down at dusk and swam for it. The police boat almost ran me over 4 times even though I was waving my arms, they didn't even see me. I actually grabbed the swim ladder BEFORE they ever saw me. They went straight to the kite and I was not there. Will never leave the kite again.

There is a STRONG urge to swim for it. I highly recommend not doing that unless you know you are near a sand bar, and can make it there, etc.

Regardless good job guys for helping a fellow kiter.