View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default VIDEO: Jon Modica Demonstrates A Novel Solo Landing Technique For SB III Kites

I caught Jon Modica at the end of the first day's competition at the 2008 Jupiter Kiteboarding Invasion. I asked him to demonstrate a novel solo landing technique that I read about online and captured it on video.

NOTE: Jon shows this one approach to solo landing a Cabrinha Switchblade III kite. This approach MAY work with SOME other kites in some conditions BUT WILL NOT WORK with ALL flat kites. Extreme care and caution should be used if evaluated and should be done initially in light winds with an adequate buffer area. If things go wrong it is possible severed appendages and/or impact injuries might result so have a care. NOT to be used with traditional C kites.

This technique or grabbing the trim strap to secure the kite IS NOT RECOMMENDED with Cabrinha IDS kites.

A website embedded this video recently, posted some of the precautions but not all of them particularly those related to the IDS system. IDS allows a much better and easier way of solo landing than described here. For that reason, I disabled the video. Sorry

Sorry about all the wind noise, it was my first time shooting video in high wind with a Canon G9 digital "still" camera. Still, the video quality is pretty good considering. I may yet figure out how to reduce it through filtering.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 03-17-2009 at 06:34 AM.