View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 03:40 PM

Steve- I think you have some good ideas, but i also think you are getting a little ahead of yourself on some of this. I will tell anyone and everyone that I am a certified "USA Waterski" waterski and wakeboard coach. I am proud of it and the training that i went thru, as well as the instruction I can provide. USA Waterski is the governing body of skiing. In order to become a member, you simply pay dues, register, and get a card in the mail. This membership provides accident insurance in any "sanctioned" events, as well as other benefits.(for more details visit www.usawaterski.org) At any tournaments, competitors must sign waivers much like the Tampa Bay Kitemasters waivers for each event, as well as prove USA Waterski Membership. That sport has been around for a very long time, and has gone thru several programs to reach their current status. Yes, it’s a much different sport, but they also went thru a lot of grassroots recruiting and development and could be a great jumping off point for a similar organization for kiters.

Now if I choose to go out on the boat waterskiing on my local lake, I cannot assume that every other boat driver on the water is certified or that they even know how to drive a boat, nor can I or should I. I can only assume responsibility for myself and I need to be aware of my surroundings at all times. Nowhere does it state in the worldwide sport of waterskiing that you can't come ski on this public lake if you're not certified. Sure, you can't compete in my event if you're not certified, but we can't control everyone and quite frankly its not "our beach" (although sometimes it feels that way).

A state park with a public beach is a place for people to come and do their own thing. Unfortunately that involves stupid tourists and non-locals who aren't familiar, putting us all at risk. We need to do what we can to "self-regulate", and be approachable enough to offer advice about the launch sites to people we don't recognize. I have seen Scott approach a new rider at the Skyway...step into the water and give him some advice about safety issues and make the decision that either the kite needs to be brought down and the rider needs some lessons, or if he simply needs to be pointed towards an area with less hazards. He did not need to cut the kid's lines or threaten him, but he got his point across and now the guy knows.

I think a sign at the beach with a "kite at your own risk" and a few general rules is a great idea, and would be very easy to implement. I don't think that you are going to be able to require me to get a level 3 IKO/PASA card to fly my kite at East Beach. There will be time between my lessons with instructors and when I reach level 3. I will not be paying 60-100 dollars per hour so an instructor can watch me practice body dragging upwind or relaunching my kite. I believe everyone should go thru lessons to learn the self-rescue, safety systems of the kites and information about how to read weather, hazards, etc.

Everyone should be STRONGLY encouraged to take lessons. I just don't think that at this point in time, you can stop me, or anyone else from launching at East Beach without my official Level 3 card. (however, I do think something like that could DEFINITELY be implemented in an event... especially a 25 mile race)”

I just wanted to bring some perspective from another sport that has resulted in many deaths and injuries, but is governed well now and has set itself up properly
8)