Thread: Wind on Sunday
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 PM

As a new kiter, I've considered launch and landing the most sketchy times for an accident to occur, and the discussion about the accident at EB reinforced my ideas. I've really wondered if my kite went crazy on the launch would I have enough instinct to know what to do in that rapid fire couple of seconds. I know the topic of whether or not to launch hooked in or not always brings up lengthy debates, so I don't want to start that one. When I lauch, I do it hooked in, and take a couple glances at my QR so I know where to grab. My leash is hooked into the ring under my bar(Best bar), the way I was taught by my instructor. Obviously with that setup, my option would be to let go of the bar and pull the QR. My question is: would it be wiser(especially as a newb) to attach the leash to the O-S webbing that way the kite would flag if I had a problem, and then move the leash to below the bar when I'm on the water? It seems like a better idea, and I'm assuming most people aren't taught this way by their instructors simply because its more of a hassle.
Opinions?
Richard