View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Can't Re-member

slipping into my physics hat/geek hat...

People are forgetting about one thing, DRAG.

Drag is a function of Surface Area and Velocity and Viscosity and ( i believe ) Surface Adhesion Properties ( forgot the exact word ).

Let's keep Viscosity constant since it doesn't change, water is water. Now you have drag as a function of speed and surface adhesion and area.

lets also assume big wide board is traveling at same speed as small skinny board so that leaves Area and surface adhesion of board as the only variables.

Now, the single most overiding issue with getting big air ( assuming equally powered up ) is " A Clean Release " . I would argue that " clean release " is a function of rocker, and width and length ( area ) , and surface adhesion. More rocker and less area = " cleaner release " whereas less rocker and more area = " less cleaner release ". Less board in the water amounts to a cleaner release.

Two different sized boards can have the same surface adhesion properties
so that leaves rocker and area as determinants of " a clean release " which is actually drag.

In a nutshell you are going to have the water itself trying as hard as possible " not to let you go " on the bigger board you are on vs. the smaller board you are riding. And we're not even getting into the last millisecond teak you're able to give that small board that you just can't put on that bigger board