View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 AM
tomstock

Basically when it inverts it flips inside out and the kite is powered again but going the opposite direction with controls reversed.

When I rode the waroo, I was having a good time jumping and going from 0 to mach 3 in .1 seconds and then did a few jumping transitions. They were sooo much easier on that kite that I decided to do a real big one. So I jumped, threw the kite across the window when it happened.

The kite flipped inside out and back to normal about 4 times really fast. Each time it "popped" it yanked me about 10 feet down wind. After being dragged about 30 feet into the crab trap area and towards the road, it inverted again and the lines tangled... the kite started looping. At this point I was shitting my pants because the highway was directly down wind and the leash was connected TO THE CHICKEN LOOP (Like Josh's?).

Obviously just pulling the chicken loop release wouldn't do anything except leave the kite powered and looping with the bar out of my reach (because of where the leash was connected).

So, my two remaining options were to ditch the kite and leash completely and watch it go into the road, or hang on and hope something less bad happened soon.

Since it was not my kite I elected to hang on and hope for the best. Luckily after about 4 - 5 loops one of the tips hit the water and the kite crashed. It relaunched pretty easily and I spun the bar a few times and all was good. I immediately rode back to the beach and returned the kite.

So that was my first experience with the wAAAAAAh-whew! in a nutshell.

I had a feeling it was going to invert on me because on the beach when I pushed the bar out the kite would start fluttering really bad and act like it was ready to invert any second. I asked why it did that and the answer was "I dont know, but dont push the bar out!". :roll: :roll:

I love these kites, waroo included, but if pushing the bar out can cause it to invert while standing on the beach then something is definately wrong. It should fly on two lines with threat of inversion.

Of course, when it DID actually invert, it was my own fault. I was basically pushing it to see how it behaved when pushed too far. I just got a little more than I expected.

-tom