Thread: Obx Suxs!
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 AM

Great time in the obx!!

truly the downwinders are the best way to spend the time there..

We did the Kite Point to First Turn Out on Friday.. then the Planet of the Apes to KOA (just past Real slick) on Saturday.

Both are amazing 2 1/2 hour runs.. both with lots of scenery, swells and flat to be had.

My pers. fav is riding just north of the slick at Real.. some true flat water with small islands to jump...

Glad to be back home.. but going to miss the winds..

one main item to note.. I really expected to see some amazing riders there.. I figured with so many kiters in one area I would get to see some guys and gals just tearing it up.

COMPLETELY the opposite.

I would say that 90% of the hundred of so kiters that I rode near were less than 6 months into the sport.. I saw 1 person (one!) unhook for some small jumps.. I saw 3 or 4 people that could jump more than 10 feet off the water and do small rolls. I saw 2 riders do small kiteloops..

LOTS of odd launching and landing.. tons of people barely able to ride upwind.. everyone with tight wetsuits and no board shorts (yikes!)..

one guy in only short-shorts.. (imagine Lt. Dangle from Reno:911 w/o a shirt.. ow!)

it was an ODD scene. EVERYONE was from Montreal. I gave them shit with my huge Tampa Bay Lightning sticker on my car.. sucks that Philly took their team down during our stay.. haha!

Even up by Real, seemed like it was all beginners or very new riders.

quite a bit different than I expected.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa