Thread: At east beach
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 PM

Bryan and others

iKitesurf has a email alert system built in for its members.

You choose what sensors you want to watch, how often you want them checked, and at what wind speed you want an email alert triggered.

It's pretty sweet IMO, but it does not make up for innaccurate wind sensor activity. I use the Egmont sensor for East winds and the Clearwater sensor for West winds. I have them both set for 12mph.

The only bummer is with my iPhone, there is no sound when an email arrives. I still have to check it manually.

I agree, that an email alert would be best, however, I have found text alerts to be able to reach the widest audience. Regardless if you phone is internet capable, even low cost phones get text messages and at the lowest cost. I have ditched my land line due to the low cost and convenience of text messaging. Its like email on the go.

I am interested to see how this idea develops. I have set up a text group on my iPhone for all of my students. It currently is 55 strong and took some time to set up. I can send a text to all of them rather simply, but it does take my phone awhile to do it. A great communication tool. I have always wondered if mass texting can be done through the internet, I imagine it would be much faster. I haven't found anything.

Whatever gets set up, make sure Randy knows whats going on as he is out there all the time.