View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Skyway Scott

Jay pretty much nailed it.
Size (if not an efficient cut) is just drag.
Today's kites have a much better design than even just 2 years ago, let alone 5 years ago. I wouldn't ever think of getting anything bigger than a 16, Gary, even at your size (comparing you to me) At my size, a 14m kite in 13 knots is pretty powered up... I know it sounds funny (even to me) but that's the truth.

Jay, I remember that old 19m Sligshot Fuel (2003, I think?)
Man, 20 minutes on that in 12 knots and my legs were killing me. (LOL).
Pure drag, no upwind efficiency. You were basically fighting the kite to force it upwind.

So Gary, yes, you have the same "power" and low end with today's 14s that you use to have with 18m kites of just 2/3 years ago.
The big difference is that they feel much different. There is less drag, so some people actually misinterpret that as less power.
Most of today's "pull" is perpendicular to the wind or upwind, so your legs don't have to fight the kite wanting to pull you downwind.
Instead, that power is more efficient, and the kite pulls you upwind with relative ease.

The biggest mistake you can make with a light wind kite (imo) is thinking that the feeling of being pulled like a truck is good.
That's a bad sign, imo. It's just drag. Hope that makes sense.

I am sure you will get to demo that Speed 2 19 this year. We have 2 in the area (at least) now.
I demoed one out at EB last season in about 13/14 knots. I unhooked and was yanked off the water on a railey. It took me by surprise.
It turned pretty slow compared to the Era or Eclipse, though.