Thread: self rescue
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Skyway Scott

Imo, yes. Each time is different and may require a different approach.
I got creamed in some pretty big waves (10 to 13 feet) once in St. Augustine in 30 to 35 knots of side-onshore winds.
It didn't take me but 3 seconds to release the whole sha-bang and say "screw it". I didn't want to risk lines getting tangled or the kite lighting up on me and dragging me under in those conditions.
My kite couldn't make it to a road, only to beach houses, so it was an easy decision.

Most of the time around here, people don't go too far from shore, waves aren't so intense, etc.,. Lots of riders ride shallow water and don't go more than 300 yards out, so I would recommend just chillin' and drifting in in most cases.
I don't even know if the term rescue is necessarily applicable for us most of the time, since we will eventually safely drift to shore (in most scenarios).

I am sure there are different takes on this. But, if not in a life threatening situation and you are drifting to shore anyways, my attitude has always been relax and enjoy the drift.

Once it took 40 minutes just to drift in from about a mile out at P.A.G., but I drifted in
I guess I could have "gotten fancy". But why?

I think the kite lines tangling around you is our biggest concern during a chill/drift.
I wonder how many of us have knifes to cut lines if necessary?
I have had lines tangle around while in "chill/drift" mode. This pretty quickly changes the feeling of chilling to worrying about drowning .

Anyway, I am sure others have other views, but if my lines are tight (maybe one or two are snapped) and I am drifting to land, I never screw with it. I just drift in. I usually cut the snapped lines and suffer a tad of guilt over the turtles that might get stuck in them.