Thread: self rescue
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 12:03 PM

That's the right idea for securing your board. Just be aware that you wont be hooked in any longer and if you let go of the bar your kite will sale away from you.The idea is that you wrap one of your outside lines around the bar a couple times, then start wrapping the rest of the lines along with the one outside lines. It makes it such that one line is much shorter than the other three, rendering the kite useless for flight. Until you have that done I wouldn't consider unattaching your leash from the bar. I'd rather spend 500 on a new board than 1300 on a new kite/bar. So just continue wrapping your lines around the bar until your reach the kite. Find some way to secure the lines on the bar so it doesn't unwrap as you play with the kite....it doesn't have to be fancy. Then slide down the leading edge to the grab handle, on the wingtips, then slide the oppposite way down the leading edge to the other grab handle. You'll now be holding onto both grab handles and the kite will be sailing you in...wherever "in" is.

It might not be a bad idea to quickly detach your kite leash from the CL, pass it through your board handle, and reattach it to the CL. At least you wouldn't lose your board that way? Maybe something to consider. The way you have been told is horrible. I wouldn't dare sail a kite back to shore with the lines stretched out all over the place. It wouldn't take much for that kite to power up again with your fingers in the grab handles.