View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Light Wind Session - 2015 Cab 17 m Contra

I was finally able to get out for a quick session in light wind with a 2015 Cabrinha 17 m Contra kite in Florida yesterday. The wind
averaged 6.8 kts. gusting to just under 11 kts. side onshore as measured at the beach. So, it was likely a bit stronger but not by much offshore.

I was on a 2014 Cabrinha Alias directional board which does very well in light wind.

Here is a short video of the session:

Video Link: https://vimeo.com/106142062
I was surprised by the speed I was able to achieve in the light wind. I even had the lines singing a few times. The kite had a nice, light feel and good flight speed even at 17 m in low wind.

I was out between about 5:30 pm and 6:30 pm when I was becalmed. This is from an ikitesurf wind meter station located about
1 1/2 miles south, 400 ft. offshore and about 20 ft. above the water. So, I had less wind than this near shore but likely about the
same further off the coast. There were some extended lulls in both places.

The wind dropped below 3 kts. within ten minutes of this shot, kiting over. It was a nice, albeit short session with this new kite.
My wind minimums for riding just dropped substantially and without a hydrofoil! With the chronic light winds we've been having, that's a very good thing.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 09-15-2014 at 11:50 AM.