View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Default For Steve S - SRQ guidelines

To be sure check with Laurel at Island Style in SRQ - you can also see our rules/regs under the Sarasota section here in fksa (ESPECIALLY THE BIRD/NESTING RULES - WE ALMOST GOT SHUT DOWN LAST YEAR) - in a nut shell ... north to south ...

north lido beach - stay out of swim area - works from NNW to SW - very limited parking in season

south lido - stay out of swim area - check tide - it flows fast both ways and can kill your wind - also be sure kite with others as relaunching when caught in that current can be super-tuff - same goes for losing a board/trying to drag for it - works from NW to WSW) - mpre parking than at north end

siesta key - STAY OUT OF THE SWIM AREA and since it is ALWAYS SUPER CROWDED WITH BEACH GOERS do not fly/jump/get kooky on the beach - head for the water - works from NW to S - parking ... lol!

siesta key/point of rocks - it is ALWAYS SUPER CROWDED WITH BEACH GOERS do not fly/jump/get kooky on the beach - head for the water - works from NNW to WSW - parking ... lol! - stay waaaaaaaaay up wind of the point (south point) - there is a SUPER BIG CURRENT and you will think the wind shut down on you when in fact you are being swept downwind - if you miss the last bit of sand there is nothing but rock for a mile - not kiter friendly south of the point

turtle beach - be respectful of the surfers - believe me when i say they DO NOT think you are cool cuz you can ride between them or over them - works on a NNW to SSW - limited parking in season

venice jetty - be respectful of the surfers - ditto on they DO NOT THINK YOU ARE COOL - you want to walk down the beach to avoid the HUGE TREE WIND-BLOCK if you are after the waves - you can always ride upwind to the waves - again watch out for the surfers - good parking

venice beach - stay out of the swim area - you can kite north or south of the public beach - limited parking in season

I am sure some other SRQ riders can chime in

OS/SRQ