View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 06:59 PM

I agree That we need to work together to Insure access, And I think the association is a good idea.
However I also Understand "KITE FREE" and don't like the idea of someone telling if I can ride or not. or who I can learn from.
I think there needs to be a compromise and as a newer kiter I think I can offer a unique perspective.
I have had lessons and to be honest with you I think they were way over priced and just about worthless,(Bad instructor) mainly overpriced though, and I think this is a big reason why people often do not take lessons, I am sure anyone would be willing to learn from an instructor if it were free. that being said I think it would be good start for the Association to offer some lessons or worshops that went over basic safety proceedure and right of way rules and lessons for anyone who needs thems. These don't have to be advanced lessons just "Safety lessons" if you will. Then at least if someone doesn't want to pay for "Advanced Instruction" they still have the knowledge to be safe.
My instructor did teach me safe set-up land and launch, conditions,ECT. but from there I taught myself, and safely. Just takes a little common sense.

I think that the patch system is also a good idea, so that new riders or visitors can identify the better riders or leaders But do not think they should be mandatory.
But a patch system will not eliminate the azzols that like to ride in the swim zones, and piss off surfers.They must be dealt with differently,like Criminals.

I think we have a great group of people here in Tampa and every Kiter i have ever met here has been nothing but friendly, regardless of what my skill level was.
I own a few businesses and can offer my services @ cost to help the local kiting community,
Things Like
ID lables
custom bags
Graphic Art,
Silkscreening
and custom patches.
My cost for a Multi color, iron on or sew on patch will probly surprise you.
If I can do anything to help let me know.
Sean
www.armorbags.com
www.dockslocks.com
www.armorcertkits.com