View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 PM

Good job Steve. Can't wait for the first meeting.

There are 2 things I want to say:

First, If any surfers were offended by the downwinder that me and several others riders did the other day then I sincerely apologize.

Second, I applaud everyone's efforts for trying to make kiteboarding safer for bystanders. I think most riders only ride within their physical and mental capabilities. Accidents are usually caused by lack of knowledge, severe weather, or gear failure. All the signs, flags, streamers, etc are not going to change this. We cannot control the weather or a broken bridle. The one thing we CAN do is to always be on the lookout for inexperienced riders and help teach them at the beach. You can't do this behind your computer guys.

Some accidents are going to happen. PERIOD. I have been saying this for years and always catch hell for it, but you all know it is true.
Sooner or later you will get hit by a really bad gust, or break a bridle, or a chicken loop, or have a spreader bar failure. There are so many things that can go wrong.

This is why I have been saying for years that ALL RIDERS (INCLUDING SURFERS) SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST $1,000,000 IN LIABILITY INSURANCE.
Most of the people on this forum who are so "concerned" with access don't have any coverage. WHY? The fastest way to get banned is to cause damage or injury and not be able to make amends. I don't think that the county would ever ban kitesurfing if they knew that we required all riders to have $1,000,000 of coverage

Attached is a copy of my liability insurance that I have had for years. I bought it strictly to cover me and my family when kitesurfing but it covers all personal liability. It cost me an extra $375 yearly on my auto insurance. In terms of cost this is very little. How much did you spend on that last kite?

I hope all "concerned" kiters will follow this lead and post there coverage here also. If you want to us to have tags then the tags should show that we are insured.

Jayson