View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 02:11 PM
popeye

Here's the matching graph for the video.

FWIW, when I had my big kitemare, I pulled the release (several times), tried several times to unhook, then I ran out of time... tried to unhook again after getting lofted onto the beach and running directly at the kite (it was pulling faster than I could run and I fell on my face). I tried everything... nothing worked.

Then I realized the one thing I didn't do was crash it as soon as I felt the first spike.

That would have ended it. Since then I crash early... it's easy and you can relaunch if you need to after it passes. Everyone knows you are in trouble, and it doesn't send your waroo down the beach for others to deal with.

Of course this means you have to ride far enough from shore that you can crash your kite without hesitation...something you should do anyway (in strong winds).

This guy had no chance... he had between 3 and 5 seconds to do something but was yanked so hard he didn't have a chance in hell of doing ANYTHING except contemplating his possible death. Too close to shore to just crash it (while he could, he probably wouldn't for fear of damaging the kite).