View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Skyway Scott

Yeah. Top ring for sure. It won't work otherwise.
Because of this, I usually reason which front line I want the ring on when rigging. If I will be coming back in on a port tack, I attach the ring to the right front line. If coming back to shore on a starboard tack, I attach it to the left. I switch my leash over for a self landing while on the water, just before I come in. I also attach it there when self launching in hairy winds, just in case. It will flag the kite out on that way if the launch goes bad.
Then I move it back to the normal spot once I hit the water.
Things don't go wrong too often, but better safe than sorry is sort of my mindset when launching/landing solo.

I noticed that Ozone built in rings for both front lines last year with easy to reach handles.
I think Best is considering the same.

I looked for videos last night demonstrating the self landing using the rings (like your method, but with the leash to a front line ring) and couldn't find one. I did find a psycho on a kite that almost broke his arm by tethering himself to a long rope and going up about 70 feet. He then crashes down. I don't think that qualifies as a self landing video though.