View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Skyway Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKITEKT View Post
Wow Scott, You've got me all worried now. I said that same thing about the best quick release when I couldn't get the thing to let lose while I was being dragged down the beach after a line snap and several tazmanian devil loops. Same thing happened to me, I was locked in being dragged and no way out. Someone jumped on my kite and someone jumped on me. That was it. I went out and bought a surefire after that. LOL Ok... after hearing your story... NOW WHAT DO I GET? HAHAHAHA
I guess nothing works all the time. The only QR I have ever had fail was the SS one. I don't know!? I am going to start wearing a hook knife around a bungee on my wrist. It's going to look kind of weird, but oh well.

I thought there was concern about hooking to a back line on bow/hybrid kites?
I honestly don't know, I am looking for answer on this.

Funny (but scary) thing is that most of my real close calls were on C-kites and I "know what to expect". I feel that a lot of my experience with critical situations (which can only be gained by going through them, unfortunately) got flushed down the toilet with the SLEs.
I love SLEs and being on them, but I guess I am saying I feel I don't have much "gotten my ass kicked experience on them" and sometimes that inexperience concerns me.

ESPECIALLY since we can ride a 14m SLE (power equivalent of an old 19m C) up to 25 knots. I would have gotten blown off the 19m C at 17, NO questions asked, probably more like 15, actually.

That is one thing about the C kites. We HAD to hop off the water at a certain point.
Now, with the SLEs we have more kite power up (most of the time anyway) when stuff goes bad. Also, the kites turn faster.
It's a real concern for me, especially since we "lost" a lot of group experience (from vets) because not all the C-kite "knowledge" transfered over to the SLEs. (I hope that makes since).