View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 PM

Default IN SEVERE GUSTS - the quick release depower becomes dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanleighty View Post
when i had my line snap on my 9m waroo and the kite was looping .. it was slowing building power on every loop.. i had to hit the QR and it was a reality check that all it did was send the bar further away and still looping..

now.. that was an 06 bar w/o the dual lines (double the depower length).. i have not had the pleasure of dropping the kite on those lines yet..

anyone?

does the extra 20 inch of depower make a huge difference .. or just different problems?
It makes a difference, yes indeed. However, the difference is a matter of just a few seconds. If it is gusting and you pull your quick release, you have only enough time to get your shit together, try to get that bar or a line, while the kite depowers, falls one way or the other to the water, before it relaunches on your ass! It is actually a very dangerous, stressful, panicking moment!... until you get that damn kite flagged out or ditch that bitch!

This has happened to me a few times now when I was on my 15 m waroo flying in 15 - 18 knots of wind and its suddenly spiked to 28 knots! Every time I quick released, the bar went out of reach, and I struggled to get it back and get that damn leash over on the end of the bar to hook into a back line, pull the oh-shit on the end and flag the kite out.

When it gusts almost twice as much as what you were just riding in and you get caught in it, your safety features become almost useless. If you can't get that kite flagged out quicker then it will relaunch on you, then DITCH THAT KITE! Don't find yourself at the mercy of the wind just moments after your quick release. You still have to take control! Otherwise, you may find yourself on the rocks too.