View Single Post
Old 06-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Skyway Scott

I have noticed that our winds tend to fall into a few "categories"

Very common (probably the most common) is the 12 to 16 knot day.
This will cover alot of Easts we experience at the SW (unless you get there really early)
These tend to get weaker as approaching 10 am. These are numerous in winter/early spring depending on whether you can be there in the AM.
Most seabreezes fall in this category as well. The last few days have been just exceptionally windy for seabreezes. Adding the Easts and the seabreezes together, I would guess 60 days a year.

14 to 22 knots. These are our SSWs and stronger SEs during the day. They last most of the day and come in waves of wind. I think we had about 20 of these, if combined this year.

25 to 45. These are our strong winter NWs (about 5 this year) and our hurricane days (about 5 last season).

Of course the remaining days are sub 10 and those days can just bite me :?

Thes are simplified categories and some days just don't fit, but, for the most part, if it is blowing above 25 knots.. it is likely to hit 35 that day at some point is my take on it.

However, on alot of days, if it is blowing 16 (at some point) it is also blowing 12 or will be dropping to 12 as you are riding. Our average day of riding if averaged out for a year is probably around 15knots of wind.

Because of this, for me, I am thinking the 15m Ion is going to be my choice for close to a one kite quiver on 80% of riding days (mainly because of how easy it was to hold in 20 knots and its low end is good enough with a good light wind board to have alot of fun in 11).

I was surprised how easy it was to hold in 20. The 14m Turbo Diesel would have been MUCH harder.

I am just stressing the upper end on the Ion might be higher than some of you might imagine possible. Before I hit "enter" on this, I checked with Pat at Extreme to make sure my wind ranges weren't skewed. He says 22 knots is "no problemo" He said on a solid 25 knot day he would rig smaller.
Again tho, how many solid 25s do we get? Thats usually the upper end on a normal day.. or low end on the Nukers.

He also said get the 15m if trying to decide on just one for now. I ordered mine yesterday after riding

I asked him "then WHO gets the 12m Ion?"
He said people who KNOW its rocking alot in their hometown (avg. 20 to 30 most riding days)

Hope that helps. Bryan, not trying to disagree with you (for the sake of just doing it, anyway)

(3 spelling edits bolded)