View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 04:36 PM

zen..

truly.. by this season ..assuming you are riding upwind with ease... the SW is an amazing place to ride.. there is SO MUCH ROOM if you make it that way.. you will see that the riders that want to be clear of the clutter can do so in matter of a couple tacks.. i almost exclusively ride inbetween the sandbar and the north bridge.. its light congestion usually.. if not.. i move away.

the skyway is one of the most amazing kiting places florida has to offer. i am certain of that.. EB is another destination MUST for any kiter in a 300 mile radius... and i applaud you for checking the scene out before kiting there and for doing the right thing at your kiting level.

I am proud to say that I went an entire season before I kited at the skyway because I listened to my instructor and to others on the local forum. I was riding upwind and doing small jumps before I kited at the skyway for the first time..

now the skyway backside (west) can be one of those "kite at your own risk" areas but only in the sense of the hazards.. if the wind is good, you can launch and tack out across the channel and will find yourself with so much room in every direction you will go nuts. of course coming back in to land is a pain.. but if you are SAFE you will be ok.

smart thing to do is to learn the area, find out about the hazards, understand the level of skill it takes to safely kite there and then have fun.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa