Thread: OPERATOR ERROR
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default OPERATOR ERROR

Tailgating, gotta get home, road’s icy. I can handle it … SCREECH, BAM!
Great wind, I’m stoked and gotta go! Walk another 200 yards to that clear area to launch? Hell no, I’m going here where the babes can check me out, in front of this wall in these sick onshore winds. I can handle it.

- USE DISTANCE!

Gas? I thought you checked the gas, man it’s your dad’s plane. Well at least we can land in all the soft water, where’s land though?
Gotta rig up, forget preflighting, the wind’s too good! Crossed lines … BAM … kiss that wall like you mean it boy!

- PREFLIGHT, THEN PREFLIGHT AGAIN!

This new Corvette, beats hell outta my ’73 Pinto Wagon. All I did was hit the gas, you sure you weren’t going in reverse when we hit?

So, it’s a high aspect kite, wind’s honking & I’m a newbie, hey I can handle it. Flying mighty fast though … so this is LOFTING, maybe if I scream it will help, hmmm.

- KNOW YOUR GEAR, RIDE WITHIN YOUR ABILITIES!

Almost home, only been driving for 36 hrs., I can handle it though … zzzzzzzzzzzzzz … KA-BOOM!

Almost sunset, wind is dying a bit, bet I can chase it offshore & keep riding, YEAH BABY! … Hey, where’d the land and THE WIND go???

- ANTICIPATE TROUBLE, USE COMMON SENSE!

Looking dark out there, was that a cow that just flew by? What’s a little tornado, hell, I can handle it.

All right, WIND IS ON cause SQUALLS are a coming. What kite to pick for 10 gusting to 40 kts., hmmm… what would Super Fly ride?

- AVOID SQUALLS AND EXCESSIVELY GUSTY WEATHER!

I hit YOU?! NO WAY, hell man, your bumper hit ME! I hit my brakes & I was a least 10 ft. from you and only going 70 mph.

Too gusty, no way man. I am one bad ass kite dude, got loads o’ talent, besides that I got my Quick Release. Shit hit the fan, no prob I just coolly pop the Quick Release. I’ll have time, it’ll work and I’ll be able to find it … uh right?

- WORK TO AVOID TROUBLE, YOU MAY NOT REACT SUCCESSFULLY!

We have loads of gadgets, quick releases, safety gear, hot kites and boards and more these days. Lots of it is pretty good too. Still, when it hits the fan, and YOU’RE IT, that sinking feeling before the hard collision with reality can really suck. All the gadgets in the world may not help if you put yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It is all about CHOICES, informed choices made on the basis of sound knowledge and experience. Know your game, carefully build experience, ride responsibly, use safety gear, anticipate trouble before you ride into it … work to avoid OPERATOR ERROR.

Otherwise, you can handle it, right?

More in the Safe Kiteboarding Guidelines

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi