View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI
What time did this happen at? I didn't quite follow what happened to the wind, could you break it down for me again.

There was a mega-nasty squall line that moved through that area in late afternoon today. Bright red, fat and looking like severe trouble on radar. A version of the radar image appears below, after it had moved over your area. This stuff was moving north very fast. Planes wouldn't take off in it, not even jumbo jets, of course having something like a parachute up the size of a car in it is ok? I was wondering if it would clear in time for me to go out after work off Palm Beach County. It did fortunately. If you kited through that you may wish to hang on a bit harder to your remaining "lives" in the future.

I'm guessing it may have happened around 4 pm, if this was the same system you guys dealt with. It spiked winds up to around 38 mph in Dania around 3:30 pm and the same (38 kts.) in Delray at around 4:30 pm moving from the south. Both were fairly mild as our squalls go, as they can easily double that wind speed, or more. You never know before you are in them after all. I was waiting for this stuff to pass north in Delray. Bet is looked like your own personal cloud from hell, dark and nasty. Liked your concluding point, the voice of truth taken from hard experience in a fairly light squall by local standards.

Just found the marine forecast for the area from yesterday, Feb. 12, 2008. Tornados and gusts to gale force in severe storms, good kiting weather? "Suicide is contagious?" Hope not.

SYNOPSIS FOR JUPITER INLET TO OCEAN REEF OUT TO 60 NM AND FOR EAST
CAPE SABLE TO BONITA BEACH OUT TO 60 NM-
342 PM EST TUE FEB 12 2008

.SYNOPSIS...
A WARM FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE AREA THIS THIS EVENING. A COLD
FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE REGION ON WEDNESDAY WITH HIGH PRESSURE
ONCE AGAIN BUILDING NORTH OF THE AREA ON THURSDAY. STRONG TO
SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS COULD IMPACT THE LOCAL WATERS THIS EVENING THROUGH
WEDNESDAY.

COASTAL WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH, FL OUT 20 NM-
342 PM EST TUE FEB 12 2008

...TORNADO WATCH 53 IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM EST THIS EVENING...
...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...

.TONIGHT...SOUTH WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS WITH GUSTS TO NEAR GALE FORCE.
NEAR SHORE...SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 6 FEET AFTER
MIDNIGHT. WELL OFFSHORE...SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A
MODERATE CHOP. WINDS HIGHER AND SEAS ROUGHER IN SHOWERS AND
THUNDERSTORMS.

Looking South across Lake Worth Inlet in West Palm Beach towards what may be the northern exposure of the squall line that shows up on the radar image below.

The gust spike hitting Delray at around 4:30 pm

The gust spike in Dania at around 3:30 pm

Note the strong red squall line working up the coast shown near the north end of Palm Beach County in this radar image

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi