View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 02:33 PM

I would respectfully disagree with encouraging anyone from being close to shore, or suggesting that as a safe strategy, when a squall conditions present themselves. These comments are made with the assumption that the squall and winds are already upon you.

When these conditions happen you need LOTS of room to perform a QR deployment...especially if something goes wrong during the process. And sometimes in these situations you need to buy a little time to get ready.

3000 feet seems a long way to be dragged, conscious or unconsciuos...but he is probably lucky he was FAR FROM SHORE so that when he did get lofted he did not get slammed directly into trees/docks, rocks, etc right off the bat. Plus 3000 feet goes by fast when you are getting dragged - ask Tom Ucheuche, or Bill Eastburn, both strong experienced kiters.

I suppose we could include "what if you are unconscious?" into the discussion, but I think for the most part people need to know what to do if they are conscious.

I might only be speaking for myself, but I know one thing - I've been caught in several situations where the wind went from 12 kts to 40 kts with very little warning. The first thought in my mind is GET AWAY FROM SHORE. I will not rely on someone "being there" to catch my kite, and I don't want to release my kite if not necessary into parks, beaches, sidewalks, roadways, etc.

If I decide that I need to get closer to shore I first make sure that I am set up and can QR immediately to an outside leashed line and NOT to my suicide connection or to a centerline system (no matter how "intelligent" it is)...AND I repeat to myself the mantra - if it appears I will be dragged out of the water onto the sand/rocks/trees/grass, etc...I WILL IMMEDIATELY QR to flag the kite...and if that looks bad for even a second or two I will QR the kite leash immediately and save myself.
rvillate@msn.com
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas