View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 05:13 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Do you guys know of any kiters in your area in law enforcement, i.e. police, sheriff's deputy, marine patrol, maybe even USCG, etc.? If so, having a good discussion with them about this and similar problems would be in order. After explanation of the issues, consider effective ideas of what they think could be done to help the situation and motivate responsible kiteboarding.

Government, interpretation and enforcement of laws and rules can be a complex and sometimes confusing thing. Throw in Admiralty Law and it becomes potentially more complex. In many jurisdictions kiteboarding is not looked on with the same level of concern or enforcement as is the case for numbered vessels. If we can keep things going, I believe it would be in our interest to work to keep things that way.

It comes down to what enforcement the authorities are willing to do. An authority engaged in kiting is already way ahead in the learning curve on many important issues. In the selective interpretation and enforcement of rules they may be able to interface with colleagues and other agencies in working out an effective response.

Authorities aside, Tom's idea or others about having a call list and group involvement when such incidents occur is worth looking into. Working to avoid the frequent "random indifference" problem kiters experience from larger groups of other kiters is a good goal. Physical altercations can lead to bigger messes and should be avoided. You need to bring pressure and valid concerns to the problem kiters in a way they can see and appreciate. No one likes major negative peer pressure. "Creative" application of valid pressure may help more so. There seems to be a practice in some cases of problem kiters confusing things saying "it wasn't me" "you misunderstand" etc. Having a few fair witnesses that are kiters with solid evidence can help to avoid confusion, intentional or otherwise. In bringing pressure to the problem kiter you want to take prudent steps to avoid bringing harmful excessive and overt pressure against the general practice kiting in general in the public's or authorities' perception, "i.e. out of control constructive nuisances" which we are not.

Talk on a forum can be a good constructive thing, if it leads to reasonable, prudent and in this case, group action. I would recommend continuing to resolve a realistic plan and doing it, as a group.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 08-01-2008 at 09:54 AM.