View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 AM

Hi Rick,

As you know I've been over there quite a bit this year. I can say that Bimini seems to be coming back a bit. While I am now spending most of my time on South Bimini, the new Big Game club is very nice! I tried to book for last weekend, but they were sold out. I'm sure that the extra tourists will help the island even in the short term.

It's funny to me how few people in S. Florida that have boats have never been to Bimini. It's not your normal resort island, although Bimini Sands, Big Game, and Bimini Bay all cater to higher end clients, but I really like the rustic feel of the island. With a little knowledge and skill, you can hop in the water and feed yourself! The back water kiting is a total adventure if you happen to catch the wind right. I also believe that when the wind is out of the E to SE that Bimini hold much stronger velocity than S. Florida or the upper keys.

We have Chris Quinn set up on kite beach in Bimini (South end of South Bimini), which is the only beach launch that can be kited in nearly all wind directions. If you are headed over just facebook him at "bimini kiteboarding" and he will show you around.

I went over for a day trip on Sunday and got hammered by cold, rain, and storms. We still managed some bugs, hogs, and a mutton. Had a great dinner Monday night.

I'll toss some pics up as soon as I can.