Thread: easterly flow
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
I noticed last may we had many days of east wind, and it seems we are back in a similar pattern.Does this type of wind happen during months of transition in weather like spring/fall, or is this one now associated with the tropical disturbance off the carolinas? I never really noticed this wind pattern as much during the winter months nor the hottest months of the summer. It also seems fairly consistent windy in morning, dead during middle of day, pick up in evening. No seabreeze develops during this wind pattern either, but we still get afternoon storms. Are these storms blowing over from east coast ?
I dont really understand this???
The days of East wind that were good were due mostly to Tropical Depression Gabrielle (although at the time it was simply called investigation 99) It sat out in the Atlantic rotating counterclockwise while a high pressure system in the Gulf South states rotating clockwise helped to funnel the wind down to us.

There is a seabreeze in the summer, it's just not strong enough to ride most of the time. It does cause storms and in the mid to late afternoon is enough to take the prevailing Easterly down a notch or two which is why easterlies are stronger in the morning and at night.