View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 PM
tomstock

Quote:
As I am sure you know, Randy was our main instructor in 06. He is doing his own thing now and we truly wish him well. My background is in education with a bachelor's and master's degree. I have worked with literally thousands of kids and adults in the marching band world....coordinating shows with my last post at the University of South Florida in Tampa. Basically, my job was breaking down very complex skills for my students and challenging them to the highest level. Long story short, I am confident of my ability to teach and communicate with all walks of life. It is something I have done since I was 18.

I have been a waterman of over 20 years now challenging the shores of Costa Rica, Hawaii, California, and Puerto Rico. Many near drownings in these locations. They are the real deal.

Anyways, I take this responsibilty very seriously and am always promoting safe practices for my students just as I did. I have only been riding a year now, but have put quite a bit of time on the water as it is part of my job. I didn't even ride at the Skyway/Ft. Desoto area until I had my game together which took about 6 months.

As far as certifications, WSW is sending me to the Kitehouse to study with Paul Menta and receive a Level 1 instructor cert. through PASA. This should be completed in the next few weeks. I will have to teach for one full year until I am able to certify students through PASA. We eventuly plan to be a certified PASA school.

We are moving forward to educate on a very professional level and offer the best instruction in the bay area. This sport is amazing and for better or for worse more and more are going to get involved. Since my involement, I now have 5 surfing friends that are on there way to entering the sport. As prices go down, and safety goes up, it is only a matter of time until this sport is as mainstream as surfing. But education is key. I think we can all agree on that.

Again, a good majority of our teaching will not take place in the Skyway/Desoto area. The risks are too high and new people coming into the sport need to be educated and steered in the right direction to explore spots that aren't quite so crowded.

We all need to work together to educate and assist those entering the sport, because the bottom line is we were all there once.
Well.. taking Toby's perspective on safety....

I'm sure you've heard this quote before:

"Nah... I don't need lessons. I've been surfing and skateboarding forever... I can do it no problem, I just need to buy the gear."

I think this applies MORE so for teaching. You are taking someone's life into your hands when you attach them to that kite.

This isn't marching band, in this sport if you teach someone a bad habit (like reaching for the quick release when it suddenly goes from 15 to 35) it could possibly get them killed. Ask me how I know about that one.

The only exceptions to this (for me anyway) are the long timers (Randy, Jeff, and a few others) who have been riding since the jojo. I don't know how long you've been riding but your name doesn't ring a bell to me.

Obviously I don't know you or your capabilities, but I know what you liabilities are, as well as those of water sports west. I would strongly urge you to get certified before teaching anyone other than close friends. How are you going to explain the situation to someone's family at the hospital when you tell them you are not a certified instructor? How is WSW going to defend themselves in court? Man, I would be careful if I were you until you get that cert done. I do appreciate your attitude towards safety and responsibility at the spots though...

If I am way off base I apologize ... I am prepared to get flamed over this one but I just couldn't let it go without speaking up. This is what self regulation of our sport is all about.