View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 06:34 AM

Default For the record

Just wanted to let everyone know that we are very aware of the crowded conditions in Tampa Bay. Population over 4 million + bow kites making it easier to learn + experienced riders throwing down awesome tricks is bringing more and more people into the sport. We have seen a huge increase in interest for the sport just over the past few months.

At WSW west we recognize the need to keep our riding spots safe and make every newbie aware that riding these spots on crowded days is a very risky situation. I personally stress to all my students to walk out into the water to launch and land, and go way out to the sandbars to work on their board skills. Staying in winds under 15 knots and getting your skills under control on less populated weekdays is the safe way to approach learning the sport until things are under control.

We have also chosen to teach the majority of our students in the less accessible northern locations of Pinellas county ie. Caladesi, Honeymoon, and 3-rooker. If you do see me teaching students out there it is simply our ground school program with no board involved. Most of the work is stationary with the kite, and it will not be on busy weekends.

We have a great deal of respect for the dangers of mixing experienced crowds and newbies together and will do everything within our power to educate our students via video, one on one instruction, and ultimately moving the learning environment to a different location. After they leave our program, we can only hope these newbies will make smart choices not only for themselves but for the others.

Peace!