Thread: Wind on Sunday
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Tom Stock

LSUKiter, if you launch hooked in, don't just look at your quick release, keep your HAND ON IT until the kite is overhead and stable... if it suddenly loops you will have to look down to grab it and trust me when I say you are not going to succeed.

Honestly I don't recommend connecting to an outside line during launch (on a waroo or other bow kite). If you have a bar with velcro on that ring, and you forget to undo it, or if you clip into the wrong ring (there are two on the end of the bar) you are in for the worst possible kitemare you can imagine.

Odds are good you will forget or get the wrong ring at some point in your life.

My personal solution is not the best solution, but it is the most convenient solution.

1) I launch hooked in with my hand on the QR, and I do not connect my leash until the kite is in the air. Not the best, but safe from kite loops as long as I pull the release.

2) A an even safer method which Steve-O mentioned awhile back is to launch with the chicken loop in your hand (unhooked) and one hand on the bar. Done that too... also no leash connected until after launch. Works ok, but you could loose your kite if you slip and fall or something.

Whats the safest method to launch a bow with "full" depower?

3) Launch unhooked by holding the chicken loop (fully depowered) in one hand,one hand on bar, with leash connected to a front line.